Friday, August 14, 2015

Hashem pays for Shabbos and Yom Tov

We've all heard it before ... what you spend on Shabbos and Yom Tiff does not count in your yearly income.

I once read a story in Meoras Hashabbos that a certain rabbi (forgive me; his name slipped my mind) used to take his kids to the store on Eruv Shabbos, and let them pick out whatever candies and treats they wanted.  He would throw up his hands and tell them, "Take whatever you want kids!  It's all free!"

Over the years, I have tried very hard to remember to say, "l'kavod shabbos kodesh" when I go grocery shopping for shabbos food.  This week is a special shabbos.  It's both Shabbos AND Rosh Chodesh Elul.  I really wanted to do something special for this shabbos, and decided to get some flowers.  Martins has lovely arrangements for a very reasonable price.  When I got there, there were several arrangements I saw, and had a real hard time choosing.  Finally, after a lot of deliberations, I picked these --


As I went to put them in the cart, a thought struck me.  I bought flowers a few weeks ago for Shabbos Chazon.  (I had figured it was a hard shabbos leading right into Tisha B'Av, so that flowers would brighten it up.)  I was thinking my husband may not be too happy with the purchase.  (He's very practical; I'm the impulsive spend-thrift.)  Then I remember that from time to time we get rebate checks for little, odd amounts.  I know that what you get for shabbos, doesn't really come from our account. So I figured, I'll take the flowers and Hashem will send us some checks to pay for them.

Fast forward several hours... My husband comes home work.  (He didn't go into the dining room.)  He comes into the kitchen with the mail in his hand.  Guess what he was holding?  Yup!  A rebate check.  I screamed, "I bet it's for $16.47!!!"  Then I told him the whole story of the flowers.  Well, he opens it, and ... it was only for $11 something.  BUT ... he had another rebate check in his hand as well.  YUP!!!  It was for $5 something, bringing the total to $17.46!!!  I was jumping up and down.  Hashem openly revealed what I have always believed.

And as that rabbi in Yerushalayim used to say, Buy whatever you want for Shabbos, because you aren't paying for it.  Hakodesh Baruch Hu is!

Wishing every a wonderful, wonderful Shabbos, and may we celebrate it together with Moshiach and the Third Bais Hamikdash!

1 comment:

luvlucy515 said...

That was beautiful, Leah!

Loved it.

Your pal,

Julie