Monday, November 25, 2013

Lost and (not) Found (yet)

Brutal honesty here.  My mom brought me a bracelet on Friday.  I put it on today.  I really, really loved it.  It wasn't anything special. I don't even think it was real silver.  It was so pretty and so my style.

So I am at BJs, right?  I showed it to the lady who works in the bakery.  So I know for a fact it was on then.  I finished my shopping, put my coat on at the door, and went out.  I put my gloves on while loading the car.  I got in the car, and went to the store where we bought it, as I had one item that needed to be returned.  As soon as I get in, I see the owner, who was so sweet. Since I am sabbath observant, I can't return bought items on Saturday.  Ok, I know.  You're gonna tell me, Don't go shopping on Friday.  I don't know how or why, but somehow, almost every time I go there it is on a Friday.  So I go to show her the bracelet I got last week, and IT'S GONE!  Yup.  Bare wrist except for my TGVZG (tracht gut vet zein gut - Think good and it will be good) bracelet and the one Yossi (a"h) gave me.  (Not totally bare, but missing the new one.  Those are on all the time, so they don't count.)

First thought, gam zu l'tovah (this too is for the good).  It's what Hashem wants.  I've been working soooo hard on this concept.  I figured that it wasn't meant to be for me to have this bracelet.  I called BJs, and they were not too helpful.  I decided to go back, and retrace my steps.

So first I look where I think I parked the car.  Nope, nothing.  I went where I put on my coat, the cash register, and worked my way all the back to the bakery.  I retraced my steps, even pulling the box of frozen chicken out to see if it fell in there.  Nothing.

On my way out, I leave my name and number and a brief description.  Silver bracelet with multicolored stones in it.  I go out to the car, and sit there for a minute and think.  Honestly Leah.  What would you do if you found a bracelet in the parking lot?  First thought, OH yes, I would so go in and return.  Second thought.  Let's get real.  You find a bracelet in a public spot.  Halacha (Jewish law) says that if you find something in a public spot, you can assume that the owner has given up hope of finding the object again.  Therefore, you are allowed to keep it.  It is praiseworthy to try and find the owner.  It is actually a mitzvah to return a lost object.  I know myself.  I would look for the loophole to be able to keep it.

Lesson to myself.  I now know how it feels to lose something.  It doesn't really have much monetary value.  It's more the sentimental value.  I guess Hashem was trying to teach me the meaning of lost and found objects.

I haven't given up hope.  I did say a special prayer (3x!), and gave money to charity in the hopes that someone will actually turn it in. I guess if it isn't turned in, I found something bigger, in that I have learned a moral lesson here.

No comments: