Friday, November 29, 2013

So your pan has burnt-on gunk

I don't use Pam.  I use a mister that I pump myself to make my own DIY version of Pam.
My glass mister  and the stainless steel mister  I keep safflower oil in the glass one, and olive oil in the stainless steel one. (I use the olive oil for my popcorn.)

I also add a layer of parchment paper on the bottom of my pans.  Even with all these precautions, I still end up with pans that have burnt on gunk.  In the "old days", when I used chemicals to clean (aka, Dawn Power Dissolve), I would give a little spritz, and a half hour later, most of the time, it came clean.  Now I need to put a little more work into it.  Case in point:
The sauce went over the side, and volia, baked on gunk that is going to be impossible to get off, right?  Nope. 

First, I take some of my trusty, handy-dandy citrus enzyme cleaner.  Jillee has directions right here.  Mine look like this:
 The one on the right is one, and the ones on the left are in the process of fermenting.
So here is the deal.  I took the citrus enzyme cleaner, and put a little bit on, not diluted at all.  I let the cleaner sit in the pan for a little while, maybe an hour or two?  You have to move the pan around to get the cleaner all over the gunk.  Then, I added some salt.  I use coarse salt. You mix it up a little, and use a paper towel.  Look how easy it comes off!  See how dirty the bottom of the paper towel is?  This was literally a quick rinse!
 

Need any more proof?  My stainless steel pans -- I had made pepper steak type meat, and it cooked for too long (the hazards of waiting for a kid to come home from school for family dinner).  Same deal.  A little bit of enzyme cleaner on it, add salt, and swish around.  If you loose patience, and start to scrub too soon, you will end up using elbow grease rather than letting the cleaner do the work.


I mixed some enzyme cleaner in a spray bottle with water.  I used a ratio of 10-1.  My microwave was disgusting.  (Not my fault. I clean up the sides when things splatter.  Other people don't.  Gross.)  Just spritz and wait.  The glass tray required absolutely no elbow grease.  Just ran water over it and wiped it gently with a shmatta (rag).  

Yup.  The only down side is the wait for the next batch. Which is why I am always having another batch in the process of fermenting.  

My only change  is that I found it took longer than 2 weeks to ferment.  Until I accidentally left the lid too tight on one of the bottles.  You have to open it really, really slow, because other wise it will explode.  Anyway, that one fermented real quick.

Happy Cleaning!

Good Shabbos!
A kosher, freilechen, and lichtechen Chanukah!  


6 comments:

LEDesign said...

can I buy these ready made? how would I make enzyme cleaners myself? do I have to keep out of reach of little ones? do I need to wear gloves and face mask? sorry about all these questions but these look like the perfect replacement for ez off

InMemoryOf Yossi said...

I believe you can buy enzyme cleaner. This one that I make is non toxic. My kids used it to clean the counters and other microwave. It smells a little like fruity beer. You could drink it if you wanted to, although I don't think I would want to. People use passion fruit and distilled water to make a drink out of it. imho, it is worth it. The main expenditure is sugar.

Unknown said...

I have a batch fermenting now...you inspired me...

InMemoryOf Yossi said...

Let me know how you like it Rebecca. What did you use? I personally find that a mixture smells better. I have some with only orange, only lemon, and only pineapple. I also added some apple peels and cores to the mix. I was wondering if you could put a cinnamon stick in for the smell, but I didn't want the oil to mess anything up. I've used this now to clean my counters, my floors, my fruit; I've added it to the dishwasher and the washer machine. And I still have tons of it left from the first two batches I made.

Unknown said...

I used lemons and clementines. I have a pineapple that I will use for batch number 2. i will let you know how it goes once it is ready for use.

InMemoryOf Yossi said...

How funny that you wrote this now. I was just thinking tonight I need to ask you how it's going. I have too much right now.