Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Another (cheap) product that is often overlooked

I finally attacked the milchig (dairy) dishes.  For some reason, it is assumed that I am the maid the house.  Take a dish, use it, toss it in the sink, and voila, it magically gets washed for the next use.  (If you have any tips on by-passing that, please, PLEASE share!  I can't tell you how many times I have asked/told/begged/pleaded for this not to happen.  I have a better chance of Obama admitting he lies than of that happening.)

So I start to pile up the dirty plates.  You have to also understand that the number one lunch and snack around here is melted cheese sandwiches.  The are made on bagels (which is the worst!) and wraps.  The bagels, as you know, have a hole in the middle.  So the cheese melts down the center and side.  Now I have no idea what in the world is in this cheese, but once it gets onto the plate it is stuck like glue.  I kid you not.  NASA could use this to fix their shuttles (oh wait ... we don't have a space program anymore!).  Even soaking them won't help.  (Which is not something people here are inclined to do anyway.)

So what's a mom to do when she wants to get her plates cleaned of baked on cheese?  Are you ready for this?  Take a guess?  No, not my magic citrus enzyme cleaner which can be used for so many things.  (I didn't try it; maybe it would work.)  It's a cheap product that you often buy to toss into your fridge and forget about it until you clean your fridge for Pesach (Passover).  (Side fact -- Did you know that you are supposed to change it every three months?  Really.)  Yay!  You guessed it, baking soda!  That simple little yellow box is AWESOME!  Today I ran some water on the plate, sprinkled some baking soda on it, added a piece of silverware (so the plates don't stick together; we are talking about corelle here), and then do the next plate.  I had a nice huge stack today, probably every milchig plate.  I washed all the other dishes, and then went to the plates.  I tell you, there was not a single piece of cheese on any plates.  Wait, not true.  There was one plate with cheese on the back.  I have no idea why it works, but it does.  I haven't yet tried it baked on grease.  I can share with you some other uses for baking soda.

Deodorant It is great for deodorizing, which is why you are supposed to put it in your fridge.  You can put it in your microwave if it is smells (from cheese).  You can sprinkle it on the carpet or bed if a kid or pet pees.  It can even be used on your person if you can't take a full shower (like on a 3 day yom tov).  Just rub a little on, and you are good to go until you can hit the shower.  It can also be mixed with coconut oil to make an actual deodorant!

Room fresher Put some in a mason jar with some essential oil of your choice.  I put lace on top with the outside part of the lid.  The oil needs to be added again after about two weeks.  Our bathroom has a nice orangey smell to it.

Shampoo I put some in an old shampoo bottle that had water in it. You can actually wash your hair with it.  It is a softener, so your hair will feel soft while it is on, and when you rinse it, it will feel squeaky clean.  (You can use vinegar for a rinse, and no, you won't smell like a salad when your hair dries.)  Just warn people before they shower, because the water is cold if you leave it sitting in the shower.  I just tilt my head back so if it runs off, it is going into the running water rather than down my back.

House hold cleaner It can be used in the dishwasher for detergent (but I haven't perfected that yet), and in the laundry.

I gotta make dinner and I can't really think of any other uses.

TTFN!  Go open that box of baking soda and find a new use and make sure you tell me.

No comments: