Thursday, December 26, 2013

Crackers for crackers

A little behind here, but I finally have a few minutes to put up the pictures for y'all (which Shauly doesn't like me saying, but hey, I'm in the South!).

FOR COLLEEN: Chicken Crackers/ Savory
3 c flour;
1 tsp salt;
1/4-1/2 tsp pepper;
1 tsp baking powder;
1 TBSP sugar (I've been leaving it out and the crackers are fine)
1 tsp sage;
1/2 tsp thyme;
1 1/2 TBSP onion powder;
1 TBSP garlic powder;
 4-6 TBSP nutrional yeast, depending on how much you like/ I use about 8!;
3-6 TBSP oil;
water or almond milk with a drop of vinegar added -- Note, this is not set in stone.  You can alter any amounts, except for the sage and thyme.  I also throw in a dash of paprika when I remember.
I use 2/3 white whole wheat flour and 1/3 white flour.)

MIX dry ingredients.

ADD oil, use a pastry blender to mush into fine balls.

ADD water or milk and form into a nice dough.

Adapted from Real Snacks

I'll add pictures next week if you bug me.  I took them last time I made them.

No one bugged me, but here are the pictures:

 
 


I used to be very anal about trying to get every cracker to be the same shape and size.  Then I realized that everyone just grabs them out of the jar and it doesn't matter what shape or size they are, as long as they taste good.

Happy snacking!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I didn't even know I could leaave comments!! Give my thanks to Shoshanna too :)

Anonymous said...

I bought the book. But until it arrives, can you tell me how thin you made the crackers, how long you cook them and at what temp? Anything else?

InMemoryOf Yossi said...

I always bake my crackers at 400 for about 10 mins, turning the tray at 5 mins for even cooking.

I use my pasta maker, and roll them out to a 5. You can also make these a 4, if you like them thicker. I am not sure of the actual size in mm, but can try to measure next time I make them.

InMemoryOf Yossi said...

Colleen, not sure if you will get this, but I added the pictures for you. ~ Leah