Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Whose money is it really?

Teshuva, Tefilla, and Tzedakah ...

We hear that over and over again during this Tishrei holiday season.  We should return to Hashem, connect to Him via prayer, and give a lot of tzedakah.
What exactly is tzedakah.  People translate it as "charity".  Except, that does not serve as an accurate translation. The real translation is "justice".  Hashem has set this world up in such as a way as there are the haves and the have nots.  There are people who have a lot of money, and there are people, lo alainu (it shouldn't happen to us), that don't have.  So why in the world would G-d do that?  Doesn't it make more sense for Him to just make every one equal? We could all have a set amount of money, food, clothes, and lalala, the world would be awesome, right?  But no. That is not the way Hashem has set it up for a lot of reasons. First of all, by making people unequal in wealth, He has set us up with the ability to think of others. We can become G-dly by performing these acts of kindness.  When a person toils over their living, and then they bring it home, there is a certain satisfaction that comes from their hard work.  Then along comes G-d and He says, take some of that money that you sweated and worked hours for, and give it away.  That's right!  Just give it away.  (No, I'm not talking about donating it to yourself, or give it to people who choose to just sit around doing nothing.) There are plenty of people who for whatever reason just don't have. Either they are ill, or have an ill family member, or just don't have mazel in finding a job. Whatever.  They just don't have the money we have.  By taking our hard earned money, and giving it to someone who has less than we have, we are creating justice through our act of kindness. We are showing Hashem is the true source of our income.  (Truthfully, that is what Rosh Hashanah is all about!  Declaring Hashem our King, and that every single thing we have, good health, money, clothes, house, kids, it ALL comes from Him.)  
Tanya teaches us this over and over again.  Sometimes we hear a person say, times are really tight right now; I can't give. That is the wrong attitude. That is EXACTLY the time we are SUPPOSED to give.  After all, if you believe that Hashem runs the world, and Hashem gives us parnasa, then you need to believe that Hashem will give you the money to give to tzedakah.

I've seen this happen so many times.  Like the time I pledged $480 to tzedakah.  That pledge was made at a time when I didn't have a job and I had no income.  No way to earn that money.  Not a single way.  Then I hit upon an idea ... a friend had taught me about selling jewelry.  It was my FIRST time doing it.  I made two sales, and I said, the money I earn from these sales will go to the my pledge.  I made the money with a dollar extra!  Which leads me to this week.

Last week I kept reminding myself ... I have to donate to Colel Chabad.  Colel Chabad Rosh Hashanah campaign They are an incredible organization in Israel that provides for the poor families there.  It is one of my favorite organizations to give to.  When you click on the link, you will see what I saw ... $180 feeds a needy family with small children for the entire month of Tishrei.  Whoa! That shocked me incredibly!  I was at first debating between $54 & $72.  When I saw that, I thought to myself, Hey, I spend more than that a WEEK on food for my family.  How can I not give more?  And besides, Hashem will pay for it.  With a very clear conscience, I clicked on the $180 tab.  I knew with all my heart, Hashem will cover the bill.  (You also have to understand that right now I have run my credit cards up with my jewelry purchases.  Which is why I hesitated for half a second.)  I also thought it would help me on Rosh Hashanah when I stand in front of Hashem, so I did have an ulterior motive!  Now, I sorta forgot about it, until tonight, when I turned my phone on after yom tiff.  I hear kachings (the sound my eBay app makes when I make a sale), and was like, OH, what did I sell?  [FYI-- I asked my rav if I am allowed to leave my ebay auctions up on holidays and shabbos.  This is NOT a pasak ... you have to ask your own rav.]  Even more surprising is the fact I sold anything, since I set my store to "vacation mode".  Meaning, it shows that I am not around and not shipping until tomorrow.  So now, what did I sell ... I sold a gold bracelet that has been sitting up there since last July, and a really ugly silver silver necklace (in my not so humble opinion, but hey, I just sell them; I don't wear them!).  The grand total after eBay fees, PayPal fees, and shipping ... $367!  Yup.  You read that right.  Not only did Hashem pay for my donation, but he gave it to me double!

So my advice to anyone who reads this is this --- DONATE, DONATE, DONATE!  Never hesitate to stretch out your hand or tax your credit card bill.  I'm not saying to go nuts, and donate a million dollars.  Just donate what you really think you can, and Hashem will handle it for you.  I'll blog another time about the idea of "chomesh", giving 20% rather than the mandatory 10%, because it really is true.  Hashem WILL give you back your money and more.

Wishing everyone a gmar chasima tova.  May we all be inscribed for a good and sweet year with Moshiach!!!

(One last note -- I am loathe to share my mitzvos.  I hate when people list that so and so did this or that.  The only reason I am sharing this story is to encourage as many people as possible to give donations with a very open and free hand.  Especially during this Tishrei season when there are so many expenses.)

No comments: