Tuesday, April 14, 2015

My addiction

Ok.  So I am going to admit I have a problem.  I really, seriously do.  I am totally and completely addicted to "jewelry jars".  Yeah, yeah, I know ... what in the world is a jewelry jar?  Well, it seems that people like to donate jewelry to the various thrift stores around the country.  (I only get them here, so don't think I am so sick as to travel out of my city. Although I have gone as far as 30-40 mins away from home in search of them.)  Some stores take this jewelry, and shove them into a vase. They tape it shut.  You can look, you can shake, but you can't open.  You also can't return them.  So let's see some of these jars -
See what I mean?  It's a vase stuffed with jewelry.  These are hot items.  They rarely stay out longer than an hour or two.  Here's the hard part ... They range in price from $15.25 all the way up to $200.25. (That's the most I've spent, at least.  I heard one store once put one out for $300!!!)  
Of course, I use my "frequent donor card" to get 20% off.  (I've only bought the jars one time without one, and I choked to do it.)  You get these cards by donating 4x.  There are so many drop offs around town.  I keep the jars in the car, and as I run errands, I drop off.  Now you want to know ... what in the world is so great about these jars?? Well, here are some of the finds from another set of jars I got --



This is truly gambling, in a way.  Sometimes you hit it big, with gold.  Sometimes you spend $200.25 and get a pile of junk!  Yeah, it's happened not once, but twice!  Sometimes you find great things in the cheap jars.  They base the prices on what they think the jewelry is worth.  Here is the totally, bad, horrible, terrible part of the whole thing ... You end up with a lot, and I mean, a LOT, of junky jewelry.  I auctioned off over 80 pounds of jewelry before pesach!!!  Not including my silver lots!  If you want to follow me on Ebay, my user name is ... no surprise here, InmemoryofYossi.  My store is found here-
So, that is my story.  I am well known by all the local people in the stores around town. They call me the jewelry lady.  Haha.  At least I have a way to support my addiction.  The only problem is, treasure hunting is so much more fun than selling the treasures I don't keep! 

No comments: