Saturday, April 28, 2018

Looking Back to Look Ahead

Friday, April 27 / 12 Iyar
I slept in until 6am, and somehow still managed to leave late. We had the Kotel Tunnel tour scheduled for 9:40. First mishap  ... We couldn't figure out how to get out of the building. We were running around trying to find the door, and couldn't manage it. Finally, I said to retrace our steps and I went the way the other guy in the elevator did, which lead us to an exit. Next mishap, arrive at the tour to be told that we needed our tickets. We were already 10 minutes late. We run to where we were supposed to pick up our tickets, and run back. Luckily, they let us just join our group.
The tour was slightly different than I remember from last time. The heavy rain from the day before meant that the last stop had rain falling inside that was still dripping from the day before. Sheindy really enjoyed that tour, so that was great.
Next stop was next door for a virtual reality tour of the Bais Hamikdash. Big shout out to my friend Ora for telling me about it. That was my favorite part of the day. You really feel like you are in the Bais Hamikdash. I felt such a strong strong yearning for Moshiach. I can't wait to go to the actual one!

I davened shacharis by the Kotel, and then we were headed off to the Hurva Synagogue. Last time I saw a little of the inside. Zahava had asked if I walked around the top. I hadn't, so it was on the bucket list for this trip. It got checked off.
The tour guide we got was a hoot! A feisty little guy who had us in stitches. Sheindy said he's her favorite guide so far.


We stopped for some pizza for lunch. Sheindy was extremely happy to pocket a ten dollar bill she found!
Next, I was determined to show Sheindy around. We did manage to get lost ("How do you go wandering around in a strange city you don't know your way around?" Sheindy asks me. Very easily. Like this!) OK, I did manage to get us to the spot I wanted to take her too. At this point though, it's eruv shabbos and it's getting late. So we head towards the Yaffa Gate to get a cab to Har Nof. A little bit of bargaining and we were off in a cab with a Jewish driver.
I visited with Adam, the sofer who is writing the sefer Torah. It was so cool to see his progress. Now I need to get the aitz chaim and mantel!
Best part of being on vacation ... I got to light shabbos candles at the time everyone else does! I lit them 40 mins before shkiyah, as is the custom here.

No comments: