Thursday, September 28, 2017

A BIG Mouth -- Not always good

I like to joke around that "I have a big mouth and I am not afraid to use it." I know I have a caustic wit, and I can snap back when I feel attacked.  I've tried to work on not opening my mouth so quickly. My mashpia once told me that she thinks 2, sometimes 3 times before she responds in writing. Me, I just blast out my opinion without thinking of the consequences. At least ... I used to. Part of the reason I haven't been writing as much is because I worry about offending people. NOT because I'm chas v'shalom trying to be politically correct. (That probably will NEVER happen!)  But because I know people disagree with some of my thoughts and opinions. I tend to say things very forcefully. So I have been self-censoring.  The only problem with that is I feel I have lost some of my free speech. (Once you start self censoring, your speech is not completely free. But I have seen too many people get zapped by things they sent out on Twitter or Facebook. I don't want anyone in my family to suffer from something I've posted online. I think I am starting to ramble .... )

Back to the point -- Tomorrow night is Yom Kippur. It is the holiest day of the year. It is the day that Hashem actually forgives all our transgressions we've committed over the past year. The caveat is ... You have to be remorseful and you really aren't supposed to repeat them again.  I've spoken numerous times on the power of Teshuva, repenting, and what a gift it is that G-d gives us.  So Hashem is forgiving us, but only for the sins we committed against Him. Not the hurt and pain we have caused others.  He first wants us to ask each person who we've hurt for forgiveness. It's so important that Hashem won't even consider forgiveness until the other person has granted it.

The cool thing about blogging and tweeting and blasting out all these thoughts is that you have no idea about how many people actually saw what you had to say. The bad thing about forgiveness is that since you have no idea who you actually hurt in this way, YOU CAN'T ASK THEM DIRECTLY!

So basically, I am asking that if there is anything I have said or done that hurt or offended you, please, please, please, find it in your heart to forgive me for this.  I'm trying to figure out if it is a good idea for you to tell me directly, or if it will cause you (and me) more pain.

Wishing you all a gmar chasima tova! Let this PLEASE! be the year that Moshiach comes because we can all get along with one another.

No comments: