Friday, February 5, 2016

Eruv shabbos shopping

If you have ever read stories about Israel, you will be familiar with the term, The Shuk.  I'm trying to think of something in America to compare the shuk to, but I can't think of anything. We did pass this cool shul on the way there...
First of all, the shuk is an sensory overload type of experience.  It is sorta like an open market.  There are stores, but not the kind you walk into, although there are a bunch that you can go in to.  Each booth sells one type of food.  Some sell fruits, while others sell nuts.  Some sell eggs, or challah, or baked goods, or whatever.  There area so many colors and sounds and sights to see.  It is hard to know where to look.  It is a very exciting place to be.





The shops line both sides of the path, and in the middle are tons of people.
There are a lot of people asking for tzedakah.  There are all types of Jews from the whole Jewish spectrum.  There are people who play an instrument and  ask for money.


I passed 3 tables set up with Chabadniks putting tefillin on and passing divrei Torah sheets.



As the day got a little later, the shuk got more and more crowded.

However, when we finally left, Shauly pointed out to me that there was no one on the streets.  It was about 2 hours until candle-lighting, and yet the whole area is getting ready to settle down for 25 hours of peaceful quiet.
We passed Shauly's yeshiva on our way back.

BTW, I easily logged my steps for the day.  (I try to get 10,000 steps in a day.  I got almost 8,500 just walking there and back.  I can't log my steps tonight, but I know I will finish my steps for the day.)  Shauly and I walked from his apartment to the shuk, to Geula, to Meah Shearim, and then back.  It was a fun way to spend the morning.

Candle-lighting is literally in a few minutes.  Yerushalayim takes in Shabbos 40 minutes before skiyah rather than 18 mins.  Have a good and peaceful shabbos.  May we ALL spend the next Shabbos together in Yerushalayim with Moshiach.

No comments: